Summer is just around the corner and so is prolonged sun exposure! If you’re someone that loves to sunbathe, we want to make sure you’re doing it correctly in order to save your skin and your health. Keep reading to learn the steps of how to bathe properly this summer.
1. Find an SPF of 30 or more. Always make sure you’re putting on sunscreen, no matter your age. Apply sunscreen within 15 minutes of going outside to ensure absorption. An SPF of 30 or more will block UVA and UVB rays, but not strong enough to completely block out the sun so you’ll still get a tan.
2. Change positions frequently. If you’re laying down tanning, make sure you’re continuously changing positions to avoid sunburn and to make sure you’re getting a full and even tan.
3. If you use an oil--use one with SPF. If you have to use a sunbathing oil. Make sure to use one infused with SPF. Although this should not replace your sunscreen, you can use an SPF infused oil to help you catch some more sun.
4. Stay hydrated. Make sure you keep your water close while tanning. It’s important to keep your skin supple and hydrated while the sun is drying you out. Keep a chapstick nearby too!
5. Seek shade every so often. If you’re tanning for more than 30 minutes. Make sure to seek shade every 30 minutes to give your skin and your body a break from the intense heat. This will also help you avoid heat rashes.