Why Is Sugar So Bad, Anyways?
Sugar. We hate to love it, and we LOVE to eat it! While we all know sugar isn't the best thing to keep in our diets, do you know the real reasons why sugar is so bad for us, anyways? We go over all the details about our frenemy, sugar, right here!
- It's bad for your teeth. The bacteria that lives in your mouth love to eat sugar, causing tooth decay. Gross! Make your dentist and your body happier by cutting back on the sugar, and brush your teeth liberally!
- Added sugar contains no essential nutrients. There's a reason why sugar is called empty calories. While your body needs glucose, easily found in fruits and natural food, fructose and added sugar provide nothing to your body but calories. They taste great, sure, but other than that they're entirely pointless!
- It is the leading cause of obesity. Diets high in sugar are the leading cause of obesity in both children and adults! Yikes! If you're looking to watch your figure, you may want to reconsider the frosted donut for breakfast!
- Fructose usually just turns into fat. Eating too much sugar can overload the liver with fructose, which makes the liver need to convert that sugar to fat. When done consistently over an extended period of time, this can have noticeable results!
- It can cause liver problems. Since your liver processes fructose, taking in too much can cause lasting problems. You increase your chance of developing liver issues like fatty liver if you eat too much sugar!
- It is the leading cause of Type II Diabetes. Type II Diabetes is an epidemic in much of the Western world. Sugar is the leading cause of Type II Diabetes, so if you are predisposed to this disease, you may want to rethink the chocolate!
- It's highly addictive. Sugar is highly addictive, meaning that as delicious as it is to eat, it can be hard to stop. People who eat sugar regularly might find it difficult to step away, which can be a problem if they're struggling with any of the issues we've outlined above!
As always, everything in moderation. After all, our bodies need glucose, the sugar found in fruits and other foods. However, that chocolate cake or cinnamon roll that you've been eyeing at your local cafe? You can probably do without that ;)
What is your opinion? Is it worth cutting out sugar from your diet, or are cookies the key to your heart? Tell us your thoughts in the comment section below!