Yup. That's Lucky and I.
By Jackeline Soto
It’s time to get real again.
So I live an “active” lifestyle but I don’t eat well or health enough to accompany my “active” lifestyle. By active I mean, I go hiking and running regularly and I go for long periods of time (usually more than five miles), and to be honest I like the idea of HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) but I usually give up. Hopefully you’re starting to understand what kind of lifestyle I live it’s like I’m healthy but not healthy.
Also, I like to use my schedule as an excuse as to why I don’t work out or eat right. See I have back to back classes with a 30 minute break in between on Monday and Wednesday at the University from 9:30 am to 6 p.m. So yeah I use that 30 minute break to eat whatever I can store in my backpack that doesn’t need to be warmed up which is usually an apple, a whole grain bar, and a pre-made turkey sandwich. So at school I’m in complete academic mode and I have to walk back home (which is a mile away) and it doesn’t seem too bad but depending how hot (usually 85 degrees and up) the day is, it’s awful.
So yeah when I get home I don’t want to go workout, I’m mentally exhausted and sometimes I feel physically drained. (I’m anemic.) & I am not using anemia as an excuse but it does make it harder for me to concentrate let alone feel capable of working out. On these days I drive back to Los Angeles around 9 pm to arrive at 10:30 pm and I go straight to sleep.
So now you’re probably wondering well you have Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday free. Well, I work those days. I recently acquired a new job that I work on Tuesday and Thursday from 9-5. So again you’re probably thinking well you can totally workout after 5 pm and let me tell you, I have school work, blogs to write and I like to drive back to campus around 8 pm to avoid traffic. (School is about 75 miles away from where I work so yeah it’s a drive.) And on Fridays it’s an easier day, it’s a 10 am to 4 pm kind of job and when I get off work I like to enjoy my time at home. On Friday nights, I’m doing school work, and finishing up the blogs (like this one!). So pretty much my life consists of work, and school. Nothing else. (I know boring).
So what I’m trying to say is:
I vow to be healthier. I’m not trying to look any better because let’s be real I SLAAAAAAAY! (Just like you!)
But I do vow to exercise a lot more regularly, and to eat more vegetables, and fruits. If you feel up to the challenge, I challenge you to come on this adventure with me!
Starting weight: 167 (I've been at this weight for years)
- I will drink a cup of coffee with Leaner Creamer every morning. (You can use sugar but try to substitute your regular white sugar for stevia or coconut sugar.)
- I will incorporate at least 3 fruits a day. (Even if it’s in smoothies.)
- I will stop eating before 7:30 pm (I like to fall asleep by 10:30-11 pm). You should have your last meal or snack at least 3 hours prior to your sleep.
- Most of my meals will consist of veggies.
- I will exercise 4-6 days for at least 45 minutes. (I don’t mean a HIIT workout every day, or long runs I just mean I will do physical activity).
- I will not hate my body at any point in this journey. (If my body cannot complete a certain move or cannot complete a task it is okay!!! We only strive for progress!!!)
- I will not refrain from baked goods. (Say I have a craving for a cookie I will have a cookie. That’s right one or two cookies not the entire box).
- I will not consume lots of processed food.
- I will not feel guilty for eating an “unhealthy” snack or meal.
- To drinks lots of water.
- To actively choose better choices. (Mentally, Physically, & Emotionally.)
So if you’re up for the challenge, and need to build a sense of community
And if you want to see my adventures during the month follow me!