Mac N Cheese is an always evolving recipe from crushed Hot Cheetos to bread crumbs and even replacing the cheese in a grilled cheese sandwich. So why not try mixing it with butternut squash to get in that fall spirit? Try out this Butternut Squash Mac N Cheese that will be sure to leave your tastebuds wanting more!! Here’s the recipe:
Prep Time 10mins Cooking Time 25mins Makes 5 servings
● 1 pound mini penne rigate pasta
● 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
● 2 tablespoons butter
● ½ medium onion
● 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
● 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
● 2 cups chicken stock
● 1 (10 oz.) box frozen cooked butternut squash; defrosted
● 1 cup cream or half-and-half
● 2 cups ( 8oz.) sharp cheddar, grated
● ½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, a couple of handfuls
● ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
● black pepper
1 Heat a pot of water to boil for the pasta. Salt the water then add the pasta and cook al dente or, with a bite to it.
2 In a medium heavy-bottomed pot add oil and butter over medium heat. Once, they have melted add thyme and grate the onion directly into the pot. Cook the grated onion for 1 to 2 minutes, then add flour and cook together for 1 to 2 more minutes. Whisk in stock, then combine with butternut squash until warmed through and smooth. Then stir cream or half-and-half and bring sauce to a bubble. Stir in cheeses in a figure 8 motion and season the completed sauce with salt, nutmeg, and pepper.
3 Drain cooked pasta well and combine with sauce. Stir it into the sauce and let it simmer on the stove for 2 to 3 minutes. Then let it sit for a minute and serve it out!