Avocado Health Benefits
We put avocado on everything... eggs, toast, sandwiches, chips... but did you know that this delicious green fruit (yes, it's a fruit!) actually has awesome health benefits? Here are some of the best reasons to pay extra for guac next time ;)
- Heart healthy: Avocados contain healthy fats that are great to keep your heart healthy. They can also help maintain good cholesterol levels!
- Good for vision: Have you ever heard of lutein and zeaxanthin? Well, now you have! These two phytochemicals are important for healthy vision function, and it turns out, avocados are chock full of them!
- Prevent Osteoporosis: Osteoporosis is an especially big deal for women, as it often appears post-menopause. Avocados provide the body Vitamin K, which helps to prevent this bone-breaking condition.
- Prevent Cancer: Folate is thought to protect cells from threatening mutations during cell division. In Laymen's terms, this means it can help prevent against cancer. Eat up!
- Good for pregnant women: Folate, that awesome vitamin we mentioned above, is also good for preventing problems in pregnant women's fetuses.
- Lowers risk of depression: Is there anything Folate can't do? Turns out it also helps prevent the build-up of homocysteine, which can interfere with the production of seretonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine.