With Fourth of July right around the corner, everyone is craving those classic sweets so commonly associated with the patriotic holiday—one of those being apple pie. Apple pie is the classic dessert that serves nostalgia on a plate of sweet goodness. The mere thought of the delectable combination of spicy cinnamon and sweet juicy apples on a perfectly flaky crust is enough to make any mouth water. But, with this scrumptious dessert comes loads of calories, sugar, and guilt that tags along with it. An easy way to cut down on the amount of sugar found in an apple pie is to replace the sugar and spruce it up with some Leaner Creamer! Here is an easy and healthy recipe for a delectable apple pie that everyone will rave about:
- 7 cups sliced apples
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of French Vanilla Leaner Creamer
- 1/4 cup (50 grams) of Leaner Sweetener Coconut Sugar
- 1/4 cup (32 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 pie crusts (homemade or store bought)
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) butter cut into pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoons milk
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
2. Peel your apples and slice them into ¼ inch slices.
3. Combine sliced apples and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice in a bowl and mix until apples are well coated.
4. In a separate bowl, combine your dry ingredients—French Vanilla Leaner Creamer, flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg—and mix until blended well.
5. Add apple and lemon juice mixture to the bowl of dry ingredients and mix until apples are coated well.
6. Set the filling aside for 15-20 minutes while you prep the pie crusts
7. To save time, buy your pie crust from the store and follow the instructions on the box.
8. Once your pie crusts are ready, use a slotted spoon—to make sure that the majority of the apple juice does not get onto the crust and ruin it—and scoop your filling into the crust into one even layer.
9. Once the filling is spread evenly, cut your butter into small pieces and sprinkle them throughout the pie.
10. Then top your pie with your second crust layer, making sure that there is some sort of ventilation on the top (go crazy with the decorations of the top of the pie, showcase your creative genius!).
11. Whisk together eggs and milk until well combined and then take a brush and spread it on the top of the pie to ensure that you get the perfect flaky crust of your dreams!
12. Then your pie is ready for the oven! Place your pie in the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes, and then reduce the temperature to 375 degrees and bake for an additional 35-40 minutes. Once your pie looks golden brown and the filling is bubbling, it’s done!
13. Take your pie out of the oven, let it cool, and then enjoy your masterpiece!
Remember, an apple a day keeps the doctor away!! So, go to town on this apple pie and have a great Fourth of July!