IT'S EARTH DAY!
With our busy schedules we often forget that we should be doing certain things to keep our Earth happy and healthy, but it’s okay because we will dedicate April 22-24 to the EARTH. And hopefully you’ll pick up these habits and use them every day!
Why is Earth day so important?
Well without earth day we wouldn’t have a day to celebrate all the beautiful things that the Earth does for us to live happy and comfortable. Earth day has allowed us, the human population, to become aware of the role we play in the environment to sustain the ecosystems that the Earth has supplied.
Still reluctant about the importance of Earth day? Well without Earth day we wouldn’t have accomplished:
The practice of recycling, yeah that’s right, recycling is primarily new and started roughly 40 years ago.
We became aware about creating efficient forms of energy through light bulbs and solar power energy.
With more awareness we have created bills that help decrease the amount of energy waster we produce.
So good things are happening, so let’s continue. This is what you can do for Earth this weekend:
- Have a beach clean-up, or a park clean-up.
- Ride your bike to work or school.
- Use public transportation or carpool.
- Plant a tree or build your own garden!
- Unplug electronics when not in use, and GO OUTSIDE!
- Go to your local farmer’s market and reduce the impact of carbon that transportation.
- Reduce, Reuse & Recycle your plastics, paper,
- Recycle your electronics (DO NOT THROW IN THE TRASH!!!)
- Donate your old wardrobe to a clothing drive.
- Learn how to compost!
- GO TO A NATIONAL PARK. From April 16 – April 22 NATIONAL PARKS ARE FREE. So go to your local national park, and explore the wilderness and beauty near you.
Events near you:
If you’re in Southern California:
- Learn how to compost at Grand Park Earth Day Celebration
WHERE: 200 North Grand Ave. Los Angeles, CA 90232
WHEN: April 22, 2016 9am to 2 pm
- Learn how to protect the environment at Southbay Earth Day
WHERE: The Aquarium of The Pacific 100 Aquarium Way Long Beach, CA 90802
WHEN: April 23 & 24 from 9 am to 5 pm
- Recycle used motor oil, and shred your paper documents
WHERE: Toyota of Torrance 19600 Van Ness Ave Torrance, CA 90501
WHEN: April 23 from 8 am to 12 pm
If you’re in New York City
- Learn how to grow your own garden
WHERE: City Hall Garden in City Hall Park, Chambers and Centre Streets
WHEN: April 22, 1 pm to 4 pm
- Go Car Free
WHERE: From the Flatiron Building to Union Square
WHEN April 22
- Learn about the environment through a film screening (make sure to register)
WHERE: NYU Cantor Film Center 102 36 East 8th Street, New York, NY 10003
WHEN: April 22, 7 pm to 9 pm
If you’re in Miami
- Celebrate Earth day
WHERE: Legion Park, 6599 Biscayne Blvd, Miami, FL 33138
WHEN: April 23 11 am to 3 pm
- Help welcome Manna Life Food
WHERE: Manna Life Food 80 Northeast 2nd Avenue, Miami, FL 33132
WHEN: April 23 12:30 pm to 2:30 pm
- Clean up the shore
WHERE: Kennedy Park, 2400 S Bayshore DR, Miami, FL 33133
WHEN: April 30 from 8:30 am to 11 am
If you’re in Chicago:
- Participate in the Streambank Clean up
WHERE: Dunning Read Conservation Area 4200 N Oak Park Ave 60634
WHEN: April 23 9am to 12 pm
- Go on a bike ride, Divvy Bikes is offering the bike share system free because of Earth day
WHERE: All over Chicago
WHEN: April 22 All day
- Clean up the trails
WHERE: All areas of Illinois Prairie path and the Great Western Trail
WHEN: April 30 9 am to 12 pm
Great Western Bike Trail