The Importance of Stretching
Stretching is important for maintaining healthy muscles, but it's something that tends to be pushed to the wayside for people, even avid fitness fanatics. However, maintaining a good stretching routine is important to keep your muscles functioning at their best. Here are just a few of the awesome benefits stretching offers!
- Stretching increases your flexibility and your range of motion. This means that you are able to perform exercises and movements in completion, like getting deep into your squats, or reaching all the way down when you perform a deadlift.
- Stretching can reduce your risk of injury. By keeping your muscles flexible by stretching, you lower your risk of injuring yourself through dynamic or extensive movements.
- Stretching can relieve muscle soreness and aching. You know that tight feeling you get in your muscles after a hard workout? Stretching can help relieve these symptoms, helping you to feel better and recover more quickly.
- Stretching helps improve posture. We all know that good posture is important. However, did you know that stretching can help you achieve it? Stretching of the lower back, spinal cord, and shoulders can help you to straighten your stance!
- Stretching can help relieve stress. If you feel you are carrying your tension in a particular muscle group, stretching it can help relieve the pressure, allowing you to feel much less stressed afterwards.
- It decreases lower back pain. Tight hamstrings and leg muscles can often attribute to pain in the lower back. By stretching these to maintain proper flexibility, you can relieve tension in your lower lumbar region.