Keeping Your Skin Sun Protected
Summer is here, which means the sun is shining and you're outside more than ever. However, with all that fun in the sun comes the need to protect your skin from overexposure to damaging rays. Luckily, there are a few easy to manage steps that will help keep you skin happy and healthy, even when you're outside on a hot day!
- Invest in a good sunscreen. You'll want something that's broad-spectrum and SPF 30 or above, and preferably waterproof. Make sure to apply it 15 minutes before going into the sun, and reapply every 2 hours.
- Stay out of the sun during peak hours. The sun's rays are strongest between the hours of 10 am and 4 pm, meaning that if you can avoid being outside for extended periods of time during then, your skin will thank you!
- Check the UV index for your location daily. The higher the number, the more intense and damaging the sun's rays. Practice extra precaution when the UV index is high.
- Know that you can still get sunburnt on overcast days. In fact, the clouds can reflect the rays, making you even more prone to getting burnt.
- Practice these precautions around water, in the sand, and in the snow. All these surfaces reflect sun rays, making them extra harsh.
- Wear sun-protection gear. This means you'll want to invest in good hats, lightweight long-sleeved shirts, sunglasses, and additional clothing to guard your skin.