The Healthy Way to Drink Wine
By Jessica Williams
Wine. It's there for us in the good times and the bad, through breakups and parties and girl's nights, and is hands down our favorite liquid (after coffee, of course). Unfortunately, wine doesn't always constitute as "fitting into a healthy diet". However, there are a few ways to maintain your healthy lifestyle AND include wine... and here are our best tips!
- Limit your intake: Try drinking just one glass a night, instead of three. Try only drinking wine on Friday and Saturday nights. This way, you are avoiding excess calories and alcohol, but not denying yourself!
- Try red wine instead of white: Red wine has more health benefits than white wine, such as more vitamins and minerals. Red wine also is believed to help prevent heart disease, raise your good cholesterol, and slow mental decline.
- Use it as your cheat meal: Instead of indulging in a slice of cake as your cheat meal, swap it out for a few glasses of wine. This way, you can curb the craving, but not go overboard... and isn't that what cheat meals are for?
- Drink water with it: Alcohol tends to dehydrate you, so it's key to replace that hydration. Take sips of water between each sip of wine, so you can stay hydrated. Don't let alcohol replace your water intake!
- Drink low alcohol wines: Most of the truly good benefits of wine do not come from the alcohol content, so by drinking a wine that is lower alcohol content, you are making a healthier choice.