We're in full blown sweater weather, and while it's true that there are so many AMAZING things that it brings (coffee weather!), one thing that we will miss is that warm summer sun. The good news is, staying golden isn't difficult, and with the right steps combined with these tips and tricks, you'll have people asking you if you've been to the beach lately all autumn long! Check out the tips on the blog, right here!
- Pick the right shade of self tanner for you. Self tanners come in a wide range of colors and types, so you'll want to do some research to see what kind is best for you. Do you want one that you can gradually build? Try a lotion with a tanning element that allows you to work your way up to your desired color. Do you prefer a mousse over a lotion? Find a foamy tanner that you like! Be mindful that there may be some trial and error to this, and don't forget that slow and steady wins the race!
- Purchase a tanning glove. These tanning gloves are great because not only do they keep self tanner off of your hands to prevent your palms from turning orange, they also help you achieve a streak free tan!
- Do a patch test. You'll want to do a patch test to make sure that the color is what you expect, and that your skin will react well to the formula. You might be tan, but breaking out or receiving a rash from a product is not worth it!
- If you need to wax, shave, paint your nails, etc... do it before you apply your self tanner. You don't want your products removing your self tanner and leaving you looking streaky.
- Exfoliate your whole body. Sloughing off dead skin will ensure that your tan will go on more evenly (goodbye, streaks!), and stay on longer. Take a shower and break out your favorite scrub, or even make your own, and slather it generously across your whole body. Make sure to get off all the dead skin, but remember to be gentle enough to avoid causing damage. Remember, your skin is delicate!
- Apply your tanner from bottom to top. This prevents any marks or smudges from bending over, so your tanner looks its absolute best.
- Apply your tanner in a small, circular motion. This prevents streaking, and will yield the best results.
- To make your tan last as long as possible, be sure to apply lotion regularly. Avoid exfoliants like abrasives, retinols, and other products that increase cell turnover, until after your tan has faded.