How To Do A Proper Handstand
By Jessica Williams
Handstands are a great basic gymnastics trick that is not only fun but a wonderful exercise as well! They take practice to learn to do them properly, but with our guide and a little bit of patience, you'll have them perfected in no time!
- Find a proper spot for you to do a handstand. If you have been practicing for a while, you can find a clear area so you don't hit anything if you fall. If you are just starting, you can find a place near a wall so you can support yourself. Regardless, you want to find an area that is flat, and with a cushiony ground in case you fall. Think carpet, or sand!
- Warm up your limbs by touching your toes, or taking a quick jog around the block.
- If this is your first time trying to do a handstand, you should find a friend to be your spotter. This will make sure you don't accidentally hurt yourself, and they can even help support you while you try to perfect your form!
- Stand up straight with your feet shoulder width apart. This is your starting position.
- Kick with your dominant leg. Allow yourself to fall into a lunge.
- Tip your body forward. Make sure to keep your arms straight as you fall towards the ground!
- Balance your weight on your hands, not your fingers.
- When you want to exit the handstands, split your legs and come down on your dominant leg.