Proper Care of Your Workout Clothes
By Jessica Williams
Don't be modest -- you work out hard. But let's face it, all that sweating in the gym leads to some pretty dirty workout clothes. You want to make sure you're caring for your workout clothes properly when they get dirty so that you can get back into the gym looking and feeling your best!
- Wash your clothes right away. Don't let them sit in a pile in your gym bag or on the floor. Sweat and moisture will just sink in and make it even more grimy. Try throwing your clothes into the washing machine as soon as you get home to prevent funky smells.
- Turn your clothes inside out before throwing them into the wash. The grossest part is the inside, where all the sweat and skin cells collect. You'll want this to be the cleanest!
- Check the labels. If a garment says it needs to be washed in cold water, don't try washing it in hot! You may ruin the fabric. But, if a garment says it can withstand hot water, then try to use that to kill the most amount of bacteria and bad smells.
- Let your clothes air dry. This prevents shrinking, fading, warping, and pilling. It will help keep your workout clothes stretchy, vibrant, and looking brand new.
- Hand wash your sports bras. This helps to keep any padding on the inside from getting folded and warped. It's also the most gentle option, that will help your bras last the longest.