The Health Benefits of Turmeric
Turmeric -- that bright orange spice you probably have sitting in your kitchen cabinet -- is more than just delicious. It also is an excellent nutritional supplement that boasts a variety of health benefits! Here are all the best health benefits, along with a recipe for a yummy healing turmeric tea, just for you!
- It's a natural anti-inflammatory: If you have painful joints or even arthritis, turmeric can help ease your pain and lower inflammation. The curcumin found in turmeric does wonders as an anti-inflammatory, so be sure to use turmeric liberally!
- It can lower your risk for brain disease: A variety of brain diseases have shown signs of being related to a lowered hormone level of BDNF. Turmeric actually has shown to increase BDNF levels in some cases, which can effectively delay or even reverse certain brain diseases!
- It can lower your risk for heart disease: Heart disease is the #1 killer worldwide. Therefore, taking steps to prevent it and lower your risk for getting heart disease is important. With strong antioxidants and anti-inflammatory powers, turmeric can help lower your risk for heart disease.
- It can potentially prevent cancer: Turmeric is being studied in labs as a potential type of cancer treatment. Several studies have shown that it not only can help prevent blood vessels growing in the tumors, but also the spread of cancer as well. Eat up!
- It can prevent Alzheimer's Disease: We discussed that turmeric is helpful for fighting against brain disease, but did you know that it can also help prevent Alzheimer's Disease? Turmeric can clear built up plaques that are a main part of Alzheimer's Disease. Good to know!
- It can help treat depression: With depression being so widespread, easy treatment options are always helpful. One study showed that the curcumin in turmeric had similar effects to prozac in depressed patients.
Turmeric Tea Recipe:
1 teaspoon ground Turmeric
1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
Honey to taste
- Bring four cups of water to a boil.
- Add one teaspoon of turmeric and reduce to a simmer for ten minutes.
- Pour into a mug, and add lemon, pepper, and honey. Stir well.